Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hot Hot Hot!

I've been here in Sacramento for two weeks today (and ^ it's hot here)!

Tomorrow is one of two of our Capital Choreography Competition performances--I'm not in it (ahem, broken foot) but I'm handing out programs and collecting the audience's votes so I get to watch for free :D  Basically three choreographers (Melissa Barak of LA Ballet, Darrell Grand Moultrie, and Yannis Adoniou) choreographed pieces on Sacramento Ballet dancers and both the audience and five judges pick the best piece.  I absolutely love Darrell and his piece; the music is amazing, the choreography's awesome, and his personality seems great to work with.  Even cleaning his piece didn't seem tedious at all.  I wasn't here when he set it, but he came back this week to clean it and put in an understudy (Amanda's injured) and the first time we met one of my new favorite stories.

He comes into the studio to clean his piece, and, since I can't really understudy I was just stretching on the side of the floor.  After ten or fifteen minutes he noticed that I was there and looked at Carinne and said, "Who's that, a new girl?"  Carinne introduced me, and he said, "Wow, I looked over there, and I was just like, 'oooooo yes black girl!'" I started laughing.  He asked me what nationality I was and when I said, "Chinese and....white," the entire studio started laughing.  He just looked at me with a confused look on his face and then said, "Well, here, being Chinese is like being black.  You're black."

EVYN HOW JEALOUS ARE YOU?

That episode pretty much made my life.  I'm now the official black baby of the company :D

The other pieces are very good too, but they don't seem to be as energetic as Darrell's, though Chloe and Stefan have a gorgeous pas de deux in Melissa's piece.

Our next show after the CCC is a Family Fun show which I'm also not in (sigh) but I have to walk around in costume any way.  I think I'm going to be a duck. It'll be cute?

Since I couldn't dance much and therefore couldn't really understudy I asked if there was anything I could do to be more helpful.  I did a little busywork (stuffing letters, making flyers, etc.) but I've made pretty good friends with the Costume Mistress (who's married to our Doctor) so I've been doing some sewing too.

My foot was good enough for me to do everything but jumps today with some pain, but I really think it's getting better!  It's been nice feel like I'm actually dancing again.

I've made pretty good friends with John and the other Trainees/Apprentices.  John and Alex B. filled me in on a lot of the company drama from the past couple seasons today.  I guess some things never change...

That's really all I can think of for now...Post a comment if I forgot anything!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. i want to hear this drama! i love drama!
    - guess who

    also, your blog has your voice and it makes me really happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i there
    its cami btw
    i miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss you too! and the drama's really not that exciting...

    ReplyDelete